Novelty's Novelties

Novelty, from the Old French word Novelt, meaning new.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

=(*)= Switzerland to Ride =(*)=

I had the opportunity to play Ticket to Ride (the original) and two games of TtR Switzerland (among other things) over the past few days, so here's a quick review of TtR(S).


Apologies first for the blurry cards. I must have saved the smaller resolution and image size...

What's TtR Switzerland all about? Well, first and foremost it's a 3-player game, and that was the main reason why it saw play over the past few days - because there were only 3 players available. So that's a plus in its book.

TtR Switzerland also takes to it only one feature from TtR Europe - the tunnels. This made it a lot easier to explain to a first time gamer the rules since there were only tunnels to explain, and there weren't any ferries or stations or the other ancillary rules from TtR Europe. The streamlined multicoloured locomotives drawing (i.e. just like a normal card) also made play a lot more smoother, as players didn't have to stop and ask how many cards they had to take after taking one of those locomotives.

The other plus of course, are the multi-route tickets, two of which are shown above. The players I was with simply loved the fact that it is almost impossible to block those cards as there are 3 possible end destinations. One complaint however, was for the multi-route tickets with originated in Switzerland. The names of the cities, unlike the normal route tickets, were not geographically marked and it took a while to locate them. Otherwise, they were fine.

The other complaint in the game, although not a big complaint, is that the names of some of the places were a bit hard to pronounce. "Brno" - is that Birno, Bruno, Beerino? Well, it's definately not on the list of destinations that a regular person outside of Europe would have generally heard of, let alone pronounce.

Even with the double routes open in a 3-player game, some of the routes were still heavily utilised and blocked. Geneva, for example, saw all 4 routes getting used up on both games, while competition was tough at Bern, Basel and Zurich. The eastern part of the map was sparingly used, especially the south-eastern part. Apparenlty Italy isn't that popular as it is miles from the cities mentioned above.

I won the first game, and drew first on the 2nd after the longest route was taken into account (yes, we were playing with the longest route and most destinations bonuses). We were also playing with the new replacement cards which felt so much nicer not only in terms of the smooth finishing, but also because there are no typos (which came with the original cards in the box).

Overall, this game is great for beginners who have played TtR the original, but have not yet got any experience with the other maps yet. I would strongly recommend getting the replacement tickets and the 1910 cards for more fun. The group I was playing with was so enthusiastic about the map that they are looking forward to the Nordic map, which I explained, will have something more (ferries, 9-card routes). Switzerland is a logical fit in progression between TtR and Nordic with Europe and Marklin after those (although not necessary in that order).

I think Switzerland probably made my gaming group TtR fanatics!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • At March 03, 2009 5:52 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If you have problems with those funny liquids based Czech syllables you can just pronounce Brno as BrĂ¼nn. Probably wont make you many friends in the Czech Rep but I would approve of it! ;D

    The game looks interesting and I agree that the multi-route cards should be good for beginners (and parents...). I was disappointed by the Europe version though, so I never bothered picking up the other new versions. Maybe I should!

     
  • At March 03, 2009 11:10 am, Blogger Novelty said…

    LOL. Why do they have a Czech name in Switzerland? That's so odd.

    I don't have Europe, but I have played it online at daysofwonder.com for free! I'm sure you are able to afford "free" :) If you see me there, ping me. I'm Tyrain Novel there.

     
  • At March 03, 2009 10:34 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cool, didnt know you can play TtR online. I'll try it out sometime soon. I don't have much money, but I have way too much time anyway. :D

     
  • At May 02, 2012 9:00 pm, Anonymous Games to win said…

    WoW! I don't have lot of money.I will try
    it sometime.

     
  • At July 04, 2019 2:20 pm, Anonymous Poker India said…

    Thank you for the article, very useful piece of writing.


    play poker game free
    poker strategy
    texas poker
    play poker online
    texas holdem poker

     

Post a Comment

<< Home