Novelty's Novelties

Novelty, from the Old French word Novelt, meaning new.

Saturday, March 05, 2005

-+@ Overgrowth @+-

and the one word headings continue...



I added 6 cards to Go Fish today, or rather 6 card backs. That's 3 of them up there, and those 3 are the 3 least known games that was added. Also took the opportunity to update a few display stuff in the game, althuogh when the new build goes up, it'll need to be redone again since there's quite a few things that got changed there.

Talking about the new build, we might see it before the week is out... or probably not. I'm putting in small suggestions here and there to make it more user-friendly, so hopefully it'll be a little easier to use. We'll have to see what direction it progresses from there.

Since I'm on engine news... 2 new PLs were added today - Craig (skandall) and Tony (TonyLuzzi). Well, all the best to them, and they'll be taking up Ultimate Combat and Wheel of Time respectively. I see that my "Vacancy" notices on the forums did find some use after all. I had to edit the forums to remove those notices though for the 2 games and add them in as moderators of their forums, but all in all, that was done rather quickly and I must say I'm getting good at it.

Talking about the forums, I got some cardbacks from Tomi and added a few more forums with "Vacancy" notices to increase the clutter, including two non-CCGs. Age of Heroes and Groo: The Game are both card games, but they have many elements found in a CCG and I think they would be good games on the engine. The other 2 forums I added were Ani-Mayhem and Power Cards, and Arcadia and Towers in Time got new cardbacks for the forums. Yes, those are the 6 new cards for Go Fish. I scanned in A Game of Thrones and Medabots as well, just to make icons for my desktop, but I doubt those will get added into the engine any time soon.

With the new PLs, it's not just forum changes that were required, but it involves a whole host of things... like the Go Fish update and like the update to the plates post. One PL was also removed today *cues omnimous music* since nobody knows what he's doing and nobody has heard from him for ... oh, almost a year. Sometimes people get so enthusiastic about making a game that they don't realise how much work it actually involves. Just because I can do a game in 3 days doesn't mean it's not tedious - it is, but as I've said before, I've got experience and a whole library of code/scripts to copy from and modify if necessary. Anyways, everything for the plates post was done today, including the charts and all the age calculations. That's a lot of work usually reserved for the end of the month, but I thought I might as well do it now while it's still fresh. And that reminds me, I need to start the origins countdown.

Final Twilight finally got updated onto the engine as well, and I ran into the png not rotating bug. That was annoying since I had to create a whole set of images and update the coding to take into account of that. Sure it's only a 5 minute piece of work, but I had to berate myself for not remembering something so significant. I did get to try out a game with Nate though, which although we didn't finish was a good exercise. The room was littered with people who've logged in to play the game and didn't find any opponents. Poor them. I don't know if the Twilight Spring Equinox tournament will be underway... I hope it will.

Talking about tournaments, I've just created a Sandwich Shop "Event" for St. Patrick's Day this year just for the fun of it. Hopefully, people will be drawn to the game and will learn how to build decks in that game. Yes Martin, you get to build decks in this game. Kev was kind enough to add in a special promo for the "event" after I got permission from him to hold the event, and he might even sponsor the cards he printed out two years ago. Now that is just cool IMO. I posted things up in the forums and on the front page and the WGO. I hope it sees some interest.

Also updated a few things on the WGO and the FPN today just to keep things moving and to demonstrate that the engine isn't a stagnant place. It's actually good that we can do those two things now, as those are the 2 most visible updates to both the website and the engine. People seem to be using it and that seems good. That reminds me, I need to send off a PM to Christoph to tell him I've uploaded his ad to the images server.

Yes, the images server is finally up and working properly again, so there's a sudden rush of activity. Besides Final Twilight and Go Fish and the new forum icons, Timmie and Christoph have also posted up the virtual Star Wars cards. They are trying to have a selling point over other SW online gaming sites with the engine and they'll be advertising, presumably on the other SWCCG sites. I have no idea what they have planned, but hopefully, it'll bring an influx of SW players to the engine.

I have already mentioned the Sandwich Shop update by Kev, and I'm really grateful that he's going out of his way to do that in support of the "event" that I'm holding. He's got quite a bit of stuff to do on Monkeys as well, since he is trying to get it done before Origins at the end of... May... or is that June? Well, 3 more months might seem a long time, but from experience, I can say that it isn't from a coding point of view. Anyways, I wish him the best on his endeavours there.

And talking about Endeavours, the Red Tag Games Endeavor is getting art and colours professionally done in anticipation of the event at Origins. Mark is really pouring money into this game and I hope he'll be successful with it. I think he's also trying to push to get Summer Camp finished before Origins as well, although I'm not sure if that's actually the case. Origins seems to be the deadline for everything.

I think Logan will be finally relieved that he can update Crypt with all the cool new stuff in that game. I really like his implementation of the game, including all the interesting tricks he used in there. I would say that game is almost midway on the nipa-Martin scale which shows that Martin's influence has been rubbing off there since traditionally Logan tends to swing towards nipa on that scale. Well, I wonder if Ed has sent Logan the MoA stuff, I think Logan is ready to start on MoA now.

I haven't heard from Martin recently, I can only guess that he's busy with VTES for a final push to make it beta on WW's "dedicated server". I wonder if WW is giving him or Ed any pressure there. I hope not... you can't rush perfection... or so the saying goes.

Tomi has been working on DoA today, I have no idea on what, but when I took a sneak peek today, I must say I'm impressed with what's being done so far. He told me about the pattern generator yesterday, and that's a new trick I never knew about... until yesterday. I haven't gone overboard with the pattern generator yet, but I think Silk Road will probably be the first game to benefit from that.

Kari has been busy on LotRO though. He started a guild called CCGW forgers for all CCGW players there and I got invited. Whee! Apparently, he's bought 2 boxes of Black Riders and 1 box of Reflections, bringing his total purchases to over $300. Wow. That is some serious spending. I hope he can afford it all. They updated the LotR client to handle the new standard as well so people are playing it. I've got my 2 hobbit decks to work relatively well, although they'll go down fast against anything that's tournament standard. I guess I'm not the type to build tournament standard decks... rather I've got these 2 fun decks, and a third non-solo Smeagol deck which takes ages (and a lot of skill) to play.

Oh and I haven't yapped about MND in this blog today. Well, that's because nothing much is going on. Mitch has joined the writing members of MND on gEngine sometime yesterday, but I haven't seen anything from him yet. I wrote a quick entry about NightmareMJ's hijinks today there. This isn't going to be a sad blog where I just talk about my other blog, and I'm definately not going to repeat myself (too much). Basically, tournament is still waiting for signups, and the competition is still going on with even weirder entries than the first one.

I just discovered my blogs are getting longer and longer, and I have no idea if that's a good thing. Anyways, if you want to buy a part of my blog, head over to BlogShares. I've got to warn you though, each share is now worth $14.39, up from the beginning price of 20 cents. Heh, someone really likes my blog.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home