Novelty's Novelties

Novelty, from the Old French word Novelt, meaning new.

Sunday, October 09, 2005

-+@ Final Push @+-

for Hyborian Gates...but first:



Art Credits:
Steppe Hyren by Jen Reed, background by Werner/Shreve
Beheetle by Jeffry Ransom, background and colours by Austin Gardner
Desert Kowl by Beth Zyglowicz

Another 3 more cards for Exodus Flight. I've got a lot more where that is coming from. Work on EF has slowed to almost non-existance, ditto with TW. DJ is still going onwards with the contests and of course TG is in playtesting. In fact, Doug has been going crazy with the playtesting lately trying to abuse certain things. Good for him.

The tournament has died down though, which is a pity, and not too many games are being played. I think everyone is probably out of credits by now and they don't think it's worth it getting more, or something. Oh well. At least Doug spent a wad and got quite a bit. Ditto with JoetheMexican as well.

I'm still putting up the Official cards onto Novelty's Custom Cards site, although the updates aren't going on there daily. Still, the promos are up, and all that's left are the Base Set cards (which will be the unlimited set), followed by the alt art 1st ed cards and then the preview decks. That should about cover things up before I move on to reposting the fiction, if I decide to repost them anyways.

And to other things...

I finally finished getting all the images done for Hyborian Gates. I think. I'll have to do all the checks when I start coding in earnest next week... maybe. First off is the spoiler, then importing everything into the engine. That would probably take about 2 days if I feel up to it. Depends on how much other things I have to deal with over the week, hopefully not too much as I do want to get it done with ASAP.

One thing I can get distracted with is doing artwork for Final Twilight. Nate asked me to do a "Tattered Spellbook" or something like that and I spent 2 hours a couple of days ago to draw the image below. I'm not too happy with the bookstand - it's not ornate enough for starters, and the lighting effects on it is just wrong, but I'm otherwise happy with the book, particularly how the burn/dodge worked on it.


Other news: Tomi got Dementia up on the engine for Doomtrooper, and I think the troopers are going to go crazy with that set. It's not yet automated though, but I'm sure Tomi will get to that sooner rather than later.

Martin got HotS updated again, and is trying to get people to test the game. I haven't tested it yet, but I wondered if a player will notice if anything has been improved. Only one way to find out I suppose.

Tony is still busily working on Fluxx, as he attempts to iron out all the minor bugs and stuff in the game. It's his first full game though and I think he should be proud that he's gotten this far. Hopefully the game will be robust and won't suffer from too many minor defects, or any major defects. It is hard though getting everything right the first time.

Ed has got a second update of FZOO done - complete with bells and whistles... literally. He added sounds to the game besides cleaning up some code and adding more automation into the game. I think he's really enjoying coding on that game too. It's a simple game to code. Well, let's hope he feels the same way about RSP soon - I do want to see the final version of that game in action.

I wonder how Mark is getting along with Monster Rancher... he posted in the CCG Alphabet Game about a Monster Rancher card, so I think he's pretty heavily into the game, at least mentally even if he's not physically coding it. And the Alphabet Game seems to be on its third or fourth wind as people are just posting crazy stuff there. It's a whole lot of fun.

I bought a copy of Inquest today, more for the free cards inside than for the magazine. A VS Iron Man and about 20 FMA cards. Not too shoddy for the price I paid for the mag, and hopefully it'll have some good reads in there too.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At October 14, 2005 12:59 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Ed has got a second update of FZOO done - complete with bells and whistles... It's a simple game to code."

    Wrong! Please don't belittle the work. Adding automation to the game was very challenging and still is, because of the partner aspects. In fact, since I've seen both sets of code, I can say FZOO is harder than finishing PAD, which you keep putting off because of its supposed "complexity".

     
  • At October 14, 2005 1:24 am, Blogger Novelty said…

    Heh, I got a reaction from someone. I don't think I was belittling it, by "simple" I mean simple when compared with a CCG. I do know that even the simplest of games get horribly complex to code and script for. I do agree though that PAD is much much easier when compared with FZOO.

    Well, I make no apology for what I say on my blog... it is after all my blog but I did recall someone did promise not to go into "overload" mode a while back... I guess the "ceasefire period" has somehow terminated? As usual, I didn't get the memo.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home