Novelty's Novelties

Novelty, from the Old French word Novelt, meaning new.

Monday, March 14, 2005

-+@ Entrench @+-

I guess that's how I feel about certain things...



Black Riders releases offline this coming weekend, and here's the former hobbit everyone hates to love... or love to hate. Not too many fellowship side cards, or shadow cards either, but this one culture is unique in having cards for both sides. It pretty much summarises the Smeagol/Gollum dichotomy.

I tried Noble Leaders over the weekend. Coupled with men they were average. I suspect men would be good with Rohan, but I don't have all the crazy rare Rohan rares, nor do I want to get them since they'll be rotated out in online play in October. Oh well, guess I just have to make do with what I have.

Talking about dichotomy, I'm of two minds regarding gToons these days. I've probably dropped to the lower high 800s by now, which isn't a pity. However, lots of people are still searching for the codes to the really really sought after cards there - jawbreakers and slams. Unless you have a lot of moolah, don't bother getting them. You can, however, beat slam and jawbreaker decks with a properly built deck - it's not easy to do so, but it's more rewarding to do it that way.

I've been working out quite a bit with MND the past few days. Made more cards for Twilight War and some of them looks rather good. I don't know if that's going ahead or not. I finally got the pencils for the Ploomb from Robert (stalker) and proceeded to colour it in. The results are on the MND on gEngine blog, so I won't repeat it here. I'll have to modify it slightly and recolour it for Paradwyn though. No idea when I'll do that, but definately when I find the motivation to do it, it'll be done.

Three more days till the start of the March MND Elder's Legacy tournament. I've been playing against quite a number of decks in test. I finally saw Amara, Beauty in a deck, although the deck didn't even do anything interesting with her. Still, she might be well protected in a deck with Good Ol' Ashgar and perhaps Gar or Barak. Then again, maybe not.

I've been helping Tony out with more coding... he seems very enthused about the whole thing. I still remember that honeymoon stage of first being a PL - the feeling of being invincible and stuff like that... it's a good feeling. Hopefully, he'll stick around for a while and not only finish up transforming WoT into something that's updated and slick, but will also go on to do a few more other games that's a bit long in the tooth.

Martin finally upgraded VTES to the next all singing, all dancing version, or so it seems on the forums. I haven't had the time to test it out yet. I think it'll be going up as an official WW beta in a few weeks, once WW are satisfied with everything. It sounds exciting I guess. Hopefully, the images server will be stable by then... if it hasn't already been moved to the main server.

Mark has been busy incorporating the new features into Sideshow. I got a peek at it, but since it's not yet public, or anything, I won't spoil anything for anyone. Well, I can be cryptic and say it's a Lord of the Rings sort of the thing, in the more traditional meaning of that phrase.

Kari was telling me he hopes Tomi will get DoA up soon. Well, I doubt it somehow. It's not as if that's an easy game to code. I should have told him to offer to help out though... then again, maybe help out might be something Tomi isn't after. I have no idea. One think Kari did tell me is that he's being motivated to learn how to code further and finish up WSSG some. Yay for him.

Logan was busy over the weekend reupdating most of his games to the server after they resetted it back to what it was about a week ago. That must really suck IMO. I had to re-upload 4 of my games as well, so I know how that feels. It's a good thing I know when I updated what just by going through my blog, so this has been a helpful tool for me.

Ed has been busy working on the engine for WW, and I think most of that will spillover to the main engine as well. There seems to be quite a number of stuff developed specifically for VTES and RSP, which have a variety of use outside of those 2 games. I really need to find my game adaptating muse soon to enable myself to take advantage of those cool stuff. I had Martin explain quite a number of them to me, since most of the stuff has been developed for VTES. Overall, it seems really, really powerful. Portable Adventures will probably be the first game to make use of them... once I get my act together to start working on it.

I'm more motivated on working on the forums, and other admin stuff these days, instead of doing actual coding. Does it suck? I think not. Well, if anyone wants to crack the whip at me, and by anyone here, I don't mean just Ed, let me point you to the score of other games I've adapted for the engine. (Just for Martin: score in that last sentence doesn't mean "points", but it means 20, a score of eggs = 20 eggs, just like dozen = 12. Of course, there are other meaning for the word score, besides those 2.) Anyways, the forums are still getting a few minor tweaks here and there, it isn't easy being a global moderator. As I told the rest of the ghosts, with great power comes great responsibility...

There's admin, then there are tournaments and events. I've reported the MND one, and I really should get ready for the Sandwich Shop one. Kev said he'll re-upload the revised rules and the updated game with the new promo on Tuesday. Hopefull that'll be enough for me to get up to speed on everything. I doubt anyone will approach me to play a game, but who knows, there could be some desperate people looking for tokens. Then again, probably not. Most people barely use up all 15 of their tokens a month... and of course, the silver just carries over and over and over.

Of course, there's always custom card making. I'm knee deep in MND with one set in playtesting, and getting the 2nd set onto the engine as well. Then there are the Keeper's Questions which would define the entire set - I'll probably need to tweak the final results there to get them into something that would be interesting and fun to play with on the engine... that'll be in 2 or 3 months time when the competition finishes it course. Of course, there's also Twilight War which may or may not go ahead, but still some work is being done there to determine the feasibility of the whole project. So far the results are encouraging.

Then there's Silk Road or Project CHuckie CHeese. I finally decided how I want the card templates to look, although without any art, they might suck. We'll have to see how advanced my graphics skills may be (or not as the case may be). If and when they are done, I'll probably post them up here as a preview for everyone else to see. And no, they won't be done in time to post them here.

So there are lots on my plate... as always. And this is only a small part of my life! Honest!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home