Novelty's Novelties

Novelty, from the Old French word Novelt, meaning new.

Monday, December 06, 2004

-+@ Give and Go @+-

Yup I'm offering free games this week to celebrate the "release" of PAD. No, I'm not offering anything for PAD. Instead the free games are for YNDT where they can get up to 6 free games (in additional to the 5) when they play a learning game with me. Hopefully that will drive some traffic to the game.

There should be other news, but CCG Workshop wise from me, but I have been lazy... Well, updating 5 games over the weekend took more out from me than I think I had. Still, I updated the BOT and added a few more forums... I think the forums are actually getting a bit unwieldy and I've received comments to as such, but since not everyone reads all the forums, those specific 1-game gamers might be happy that there is a forum dedicated especially for them. Or not.

nipa is still working away on DOA. It's beginning to look good, and people have been commenting on it. He's a bit frustrated though that he's not able to link it up to the engine. I have no idea why he's not able to link it up. Oh well, at least he's still working on it.

VTES has been confirmed to be released on the 17th. I wonder if I should keep away from the engine that day because the VTES players have been insufferable so far. Some days I wonder if some of them can even read - case in point, I pointed one of them to the forums for more info that was there and he said he's read it, where in fact he hasn't. I thought VTES players were more mature but they seem to be about as mature as the MND players I deal with on a daily basis... maybe less mature even. Well, another reason NOT to pick up the game. Sorry Martin.

Talking about Martin, I found a site with fan-made cards, not just text but pictures as well. They looked nice. I sent him a PM to tell him about the site, and it seems he already knows about it. Still, I get to grill him about a few things, and whether he likes it or not, he's been gradually putting in the things I want. Now if I can only get auto-upkeep...

Mark posted the link for the new MSN search engine. It found a few more pages that's different from Google. I found a proto-Pokemon gEngine page dating back almost a years ago. Seems nothing has been done since then, but what do I know? Then again the C&D from WotC probably killed this game... either that or they have discovered the other ways (aka Apprentice or any of the competitors out there - it's funny how I don't even want to mention them in a public post) to play the game that's out there.

Played a lot of gToon today, if only to get enough points to get the 3 cards I want to make a rather unique deck. It sucks though, 23 points for 3 slots, which is much less than I can get for an animal, but when my animals are being slaughtered, 23 points for 3 slots look heavenly. It's still not as good as 30 points for 3 slots which is where the Dexter Mom/Dad/Droid combo takes up. I'll have to playtest it to see how the deck goes. I saw a very interesting Heroes deck earlier today that didn't use all the super duper Justice League comboes, but instead used some of the lesser known one. OK, it doesn't score as high, but it's more colour coordinated than the usual Justice League combo and thus has a better chance or scoring that all important 15 points for having the most colour (which was I think purple in this deck, a colour that only purple decks and PPG decks use).

I spoke with one of Decipher's employees while playing on LotR today. Seems that I got a spoiler out of his mouth that there'll be an alternate Ring Bearer in Black Rider. Yes they have already started playtesting. I hope the alternate Ring Bearer will make it through playtesting. Played around with my Hobbit Hospital, aka Merry Christmas deck and my GRU - Gaydalf, Rohan and Uruk decks today. Merry Christmas powers through unprepared newbies. GRU fails most of the time and isn't really fun to play. Running Dwarves needs more help I think. I'll have to see how I can improve the Orc side of things and then maybe play it more.

I have a few more additions to the nipa-Martin scale. Here they are:

BugLaden: I once said that he's like 2 levels below the scale. In fact, he'll need a completely new scale. One can't compare him though. He can just create things from scratch to do whatever he wants to do. However a recent defect with my games and nipa's games has shown that Bug leans towards nipa at least. How far along I have no idea. I guess we just have to wait for Rock Scissors and Paper to see how far.

stormcloak: One would have thought he leans towards Martin, the same way that JC leans there since they are both under Martin's tutorlage. Well he doesn't and it has been a mystery to me for some time why he doesn't until he made a comment to me the other day in the chatroom. Then it clicked. First and foremost, hes a Trooper and thus he would strongly advocate what nipa is doing... well, most of it anyways. He's not partial to nipa's attachment method. That and the fact that he leans Martin in other areas brings me to the conclusing that he's a centrist like me.

kapa: What? kapa can code? Yes he can. And he leans towards nipa, even more so than Ricochet, who I've been trying to get back to the centre (I seem to have this mission to bring people back to the centre).

So, instead of plotting people on a line, let's have a new method of classifying people on the nipa - Martin scale. nipa takes one extrema and Martin takes the other, which is how the scale is defined, so nipa has an absolute majority of one quantity at one end and none of the quantity at the other end, which Martin has the exact opposite. So let's say nipa has 10n and 0M or 10n0M for short. That would make Martin a 0n10M. With this system, let's see how we can classify other people... and I'll arrange the list in ascending order with respect to someone's Martin-ness. Note that the sum of n + M doesn't necessary add up to 10. Some new people who haven't been discussed before are on the list as well. Note the nipa-Martin scale doesn't define how well someone codes. It just describes their coding scale and how similar it is to either nipa's or Martin's.

nipa 10n0M
kapa 9n0M
jaycurl 8n0M
Rainbow 5n0M
mechaman 8n1M
kdevine 7n1M
hiro_antagonist 6n1M
j235 5n1M
jackalope 8n2M
BOT 7n2M
Ricochet 7n4M
Novelty 6n4M
stormcloak 4n6M
JammeR JuN 1n8M
Bruce 0n8M
Martin 0n10M

Of course, I reserve the right to change these as I see fit :)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home