Novelty's Novelties

Novelty, from the Old French word Novelt, meaning new.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

-+@ Reckless Charge @+-

Which is sometimes how things seem to happen...



Yeah, not MND cards for a change, that's because today I converted some boxes, a piece of cardboard and a digital camera into a photo studio. The reason I need to photograph the cards is because they are chromium and can't be scanned - when they are scanned, they just turned out all dark and uninteresting. Tip for card publishers who do not want their cards to be scanned and shown online - make all the cards foil!

Anyway, I've got about 18 more cards to photograph, and about triple that to crop and manipulate. Then there's the cardbacks which, unlike a CCG is different for each card, since these are trading cards akin to baseball cards, so each card has a story and the stats for the characters on the card. What cards are these? They are the Wildstorm: Set 2 cards which I'm adapting for WSS1, complete with fan made stats. Hopefully I would be able to finish everything by this weekend, but who knows if that's realistic or not... it's worth a try.

I haven't been the one that's been busy though... Mark is simultaneously working on three games, much to my surprise, particularly since he dislikes working on multiple games at the same time. Not that I'm complaining or anything though, I think it's good that he's able to multitask somewhat, not to mention the fact that he's getting more games done. Hopefully he's still aiming for that two before Origins, 5 before the end of the year, although at the rate he's working, as I have said previously, I'm sure he can easily finish off 10 before the end of the year.

Tomi hasn't been too much of a sloth as well, as game updates for Mythos (huge!) and Doomtrooper (good stuff!) compliment updates for James Bond and Yahtzee. These days, it's simply a case of open up a game, code it for whatever new stuff we get from each upgrade of the engine and then load it for the players, and that seems to be what he's doing. I won't be surprised if there's more update over the next few days.

Logan was busy working on LMS... until he started working on MoA. According to him the games are similar, which means the adaptation would share a lot of things between them. One of the things that the adaptation can't share are the boards, and because the boards are the typical larger than a flatbed scanner, they were scanned in bits. I volunteered to stitch them together though, so I spent much of the earlier part of this week doing that. I don't think the ultimate result is great, but at the end of the day, even on a big screen, the tiny things that annoy me probably won't show up... and of course, Logan can probably airbrush others of those away as well.

I have no idea what Martin is doing after that VTES update earlier this month, he's been pretty silent though, which means he's probably working on something significant. I asked him a few coding questions, but nothing on what he's been working on. Perhaps he's making headway on Monster Mash? I hope so... that game has given Logan a goldmine for LMS and indirectly for MoA.

Ed's been a busy bee himself, trying to track down the sources of the server crashes (I still think it's hackers!), while at the same time keeping an eye out on Mille Bornes, Frank's Zoo and now Capitol. I doubt he's making much progress on some of those games, as there are always more pressing concerns, but he did send me the scans for the Capitol board to "fix up" properly so that it looks better. I did that yesterday and sent it back to him. No idea if he'll update the game. I guess you can just call me "Sweatshop Nov".

And myself? Besides the WSS2 cards, and being "Sweatshop Nov", I've been testing out the cool new stuff that we've been given on the Engine in MND. And while there, of course, I'm adding the cards slowly for the next custom expansion. This expansion is probably rolling out slower than expected for playtesting, and I haven't even finished designing Weave yet. I'll probably have to do that some time next month I think, and then after that to finalise the cards for Double Jeopardy. I did however manage to finish the Calendar for next month...

And while I'm talking about the end of the month, I need to get ready the end of month stuff as well. I know Ed and Tomppa are the two people that probably care about the end of the month stuff, which is why I'm doing them I suppose. I'm not sure I care about them at all, but I don't want to miss out and regret in future though, which is why I'm doing what I'm doing.

It's a good thing I delinked updating the plates post at the end of the month... now I can do them whenever I want... add that to the fact that they are on the wiki... well, it only makes life easier... not just for me but for anyone who wants to modify any of the infomation that's available. I've also created a page on the wiki that's a potential replacement for the Games Page on the website. Whether Ed uses it or not is his perogative. The wiki has also been taking up my time and energy, but it's fun... while it lasts? I hope not.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home