Novelty's Novelties

Novelty, from the Old French word Novelt, meaning new.

Thursday, December 23, 2004

-+@ Alley Oop! @+-

Eeek! The new engine got set loose early. I don't think it's ready for it yet, but now that it's out, I think it's time for me to hide under a rock. I would hate all the negative comments and hate mail that would be coming my way over the next few weeks about the stuff people are not going to like. Oh well, such is life, I suppose.

No Bowling today, but I did manage to get FastBreak up to scratch for the new engine. That was an easy task since FastBreak is relatively new... well, relatively being the key word there. Compared to some of the games out there, FastBreak is old, and is almost at the level of AvP's "low tech".

The other game I updated today was WSS1. That was a bit more problematic because that is such an old game. You can't teach an old dog new tricks or so the saying goes, well, I just did that to WSS1 while getting it to work with the new build. I've cut down the cardlist by half - only the cardbacks will show in the deck editor. However, in play, the card fronts will be shown. Something rather easy to do these days, but it's a trick that wasn't readily available in the days when WSS1 was created. I'm getting excited about WSS1 though and the new WSS2 expansion. I should do that while I'm on full steam. Also, WSS1 could do with an AI... maybe...

The other 2 games which had updates for the new engine are WS and B5, both of which are really really old games. AvP(vT), despite being as low tech as it is, surprisingly didn't need an update for the new version of the engine. It only goes to show how the age of a game can affect compatibility with future versions of the engine, although having said that, MND, which is like one of the oldest games still available on the engine didn't really need an update for the new engine. That's because MND had a huge overhaul about a year ago in how things are handled and that has proved a rather effective update at modernising the game.

Tomi is still working on DoA, AFAIK and that's a good thing. I can't wait to play that game. I also tried my first game of ToJH today... it's really not my game, although the mechanics are good and is in the PAD ballpark. TWG actually does good games and I think Firestorm would be awesome to code for.

VTES players are "going to town" playing the game - the average number of games played per day has gone up a staggering amount. I haven't seen any red stars yet though, so I doubt anyone is actually paying to play it. The engine, being (sorta) as unstable as it is now, isn't really going to make playing it nice and smooth, so we shall see how many red stars actually turn up for those at the end of next month. It's free for all this week anyways, so people can play as much as they want this week... and take advantage of that they have with over half of the games played over the last 2 days being VTES.

Apparently JC's The Tournament is ready for beta testing. That is a good sign I think. He has been spending lots of time on his games, using stuff learnt in one game and applying it to all the others. It's interesting to watch his coding skills develop as time goes by. One thing he could do more is learn some of the other games out there... particularly the "flagship" games of the triumvirate + 1: nipa's DoomTrooper, Martin's DoomTown, RR's Shadowrum and Babylon 5. It also won't hurt if he took a look at Yahtzee, Tower Siege, Crypt, YNDT and Reversi to see all the cool stuff all those games contains.

The BOT needs a huge overhaul for the new engine. I'm already dreading the task of doing that. I have done some of the more obvious changes, but obviously, things like the FAQ needs to be updated for the BOT to point to, and that hasn't yet been done. Also, the game compensation system is now broken since we aren't on game allowances anymore but on tokens, so nobody will be able to get back their games until that is fixed.

And as for shepherds, well, let's just say that quite a number of them are on vacation, so that's a huge relief most of the time. I just wish some of them will sign up on the forums so that I could add them to the Shepherds' Pasture. Oh well.

And talking about the forums, it seems awash in traffic these days, not only from the VTES players but also from a number of other people. It's interesting though. TechHelp is probably one of the busier forums as everyone seems to be having problems it seems. Heh.

I signed up to Battle Trolls or something like that last week. Haven't played it yet, and it doesn't seem to be as exciting as gToons. Oh well. gToons wise, I've got a new deck with GL and Aquaman and have removed the chicken and Courage's parents. It actually works rather well, and actually beat two decks that has jawbreakers in them. Ay Caramba!

Haven't played LotR yet, although I should finish my 5 games for this week in League soon-ish. Hmm... I wonder if I can even remember how to play. Oh well.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home