Novelty's Novelties

Novelty, from the Old French word Novelt, meaning new.

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

-+@ Snowed In @+-

Spring is finally here, but some days things get so snowed in...



Three images by Whyrl up there, three cards possibly for Twilight War. We shall have to see what happens there with that expansion, but I've been showcasing card stuff anyways. Two of these has already been posted elsewhere, the third is shown here for the first time today. And the reason why I have 3 of Whyrl's cards up there is because I got her permission (in writing) to use them in the custom sets, as long as she's credited. So that's another good piece of news for the custom sets.

After all the weekend action, MND tournaments are going slower now. Freigabe is currently leading the pack, although Mitch (malovis) gains the greatest chance to qualify first, which reminds, me I've got to do an update. The custom card competition finished over the weekend and people are still trying to wrap their heads around the idea of Slumber being a delayed action play a creature card. We'll see what happens there as Keeper's Quest takes shape. Next month, Tony will join the fray as the Keeper's Question. MJ has done some really nice sketches, but I haven't have had the time to colour them yet. Hopefully soon.

The new doomtrooper tournament has just gone underway, and it's getting quite a bit of play, with people signing up to be Shepherds just to play... it means I'll have a lot more work adding... and then removing them later when they drop out from the Shepherd program. Oh well. According to Tomi, they have been busy trying to look for broken combos as well. I guess it's just in their competitive nature to want to win. Well, if it's getting more people to play sure and fine I guess... but it's definitely not getting people to pay to play, not when there's a free Shepherd system anyways.

Next month though, when people only get 5 free games for the first time, there'll probably be a large rush to join the Shepherd program. *sigh* Shepherds have so far shown themselves to be ineffective IMO in getting people to play. I pity Joe (chocobo134) who's shown up religiously for his HotS tours and has probably given lots, but nobody plays that game despite all the tours that are given. Some people just login and sit in the chatroom while they are away from their computers so that they are "logged" as having shown up for the tours. Nothing much to do about that I guess. Hopefully the entire Shepherd will be done away with in favour of organised tournaments.

Talking of tournaments, Bug is holding the first official one at the end of March. It's for ToJH, the game which has taken his fancy over the last few weeks - I'm actually rather grateful that it's not one of my games. First there was Yukk and then Elemental and then Portable Adventures. Now it's ToJH. Yay! Anyways, the winner gets 20 silver tokens so I've been encouraging the token hungry MND players to go learn the game with Ed's tours and to play in the tournament. Hopefully that'll be a success.

American Idol was just on... season 4... I wonder if they'll ever make a Card game like season 3. I won't mind getting cards of some of the hottest babes in the comp there - Carrie Underwood in 80s hairstyle is just so hot! I think that is way too much info there for most people. My best performance tonight? Jessica Sierra with Total Eclipse of the Heart.

Well, that was an attempt to fill things up since we can't do any updates on the engine due to the freeze associated with the server move. Quite a few bugs have been popping up including one where opponent's cards aren't being broadcasted to other engines. Martin suggested that a left should fix the problem and it did. So yay for Martin.

Martin also was doing odds and ends for VTES. He's doing a great job there, and I'm not just saying that because he's paying me to (OK, he's actually not paying me to say that, but I have always wanted to say that in this blog), but because it's the truth. Hopefully it'll be available for everyone soon though - people are still asking me about it, although I now have a thread to point them to.

JC has been uploading his games to the wrong server and has posted them as being updated. Poor fellow. I guess it's a bit frustrating for him probably to have to wait to upload his games. I know Timmie and Christoph and Julien are all queuing up to get their games updated. Poor Ed must be feeling the pressure right about now.

Haven't played gToons for a long time now. The lack of new cards is a dampener on the fun there. I notice that less and less people are playing there as well. LotRO, OTOH, has been seeing quite a bit more play... by myself as well as many others. Bojo, the head guy at Decipher, actually dropped by in my game today to ask me how things was. I guess they are trying to gauge how the player's are reacting to the new stuff. One thing they don't figure though... the ones still playing are the ones who really don't mind the direction that Decipher is moving. Those who hate what Decipher has done has probably given up months ago.

I was called cruel with my choice of decks today - I played Nazguls, not my usual choice, but I got tired of playing the Besiegers for a while since they win most of the time. Naz though are a bit different to play when compared to the Bes. Whereas the Bes are really hampered with the loss of Hate and Terrible as the Dawn, the Naz have got new tricks up their sleeves in black riders, with mounts and what nots. Of course, being a Shadow culture that is still getting cards, and by that I mean more than a couple of cards, helps as well. People have already found their feet with the BR cards so things are moving along rather interestingly. I guess it's time to look forward to Bloodlines.

I did play a LotR game with Kari... he's no longer taking ages to read the cards, which is a good thing. He was playing what I've come to call a Timmy deck. It's good and all against other Timmy decks, but I don't play Timmy decks, I have Johnny decks which feed off all the good stuff thrown away by Timmy decks and make them suffer really, really badly. Poor Kari. What he needs to do is to learn how to create a Timmy/Johnny deck like Noble Leaders...

I got to try out GRfoS the other day. I must say Mark has done a good job with the sounds. They were a bit low on quality, but I'm going to guess that's to minimise file size. It's still impressive though. I wonder if his other games are getting the same treatment.

I really should get back into the coding game... that's coding besides adding additional cards to my games. I know MND and HumAliens needs those new cards, but B5 and WS needs to get new codes before the month is out. Next month, I think I'll jumpstart Urland to see what I can do with the new toys we got. Automated scoring will probably possible and stuff. YNDT too will benefit from all the new stuff. we'll have to see.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home