Novelty's Novelties

Novelty, from the Old French word Novelt, meaning new.

Thursday, June 30, 2005

-+@ The Furies @+-

Not a fan of Shakespear?



Art Credits:
Quido Flight: Zastrow
Tony's Ring: Werner/Gillette/Holmberg
Krue, Helper: Strom/Whyrl
This was some of the cards I templated earlier in the week for TW. The artwork is terrific. I wish I can say the same about all future cards, but somehow I doubt it. I thought I templated two cards, but I actually did 3 today - two weave ones and a KT one. That means all KT cards for TW has artwork, and Weave needs one more to get done. That's a good sign. It's on to Bograth and Paradwyn next. I've got a really good background for Bograth, but nothing as the subject, so I'm still hunting high and low for that one. Running total, for anyone who's interested is 73 cards out of 100 with art. Of course, this time around, I'm doing the art first, then designing the cards around them, so that might probably impact how things go. Then again, the design doesn't have to be finished until next year...

Mitch posted another blog in MND at CCGW about his new found Underneath deck. It is good to know that he's busy blogging despite actually having a job (for a change). I think he's writing more now that he has a job for some weird reason. It's good to know that one of us 3 are actually writing.

I just realised it's the 30th today, meaning I have a ton of stuff to do. I'm going to forgo the monthly report this month - let's face it, besides the stab at YNDT and the work on MND, I haven't been my usual productive self as predicted last month when I wrote that report. Just take everything from last month, advance them a month and that would be my report for this month. Maybe next month I'll do a combined report or something.

I was pondering why I was losing interest in the new LotR set Bloodlines so quickly today. What did the previous 2 sets have that this one didn't? Well, quite a bit. Shadows had the replace all the old Shadow side with 3 new factions thing going, which really shook up the game. That, coupled with the new Site Path and new path mechanics meant that Shadows was almost a whole different game. Likewise Black Rider eliminated 500+ cards from the game with rotation. Staples that people used to sail by (or swear by?) were suddenly gone from the game and the impact from that was dramatic. By contrast, Bloodlines introduced a new card type, but that was only as a replacement for the one that was rotated out in BR. Nothing new there. They did have the ability to do things, but current cards already do those things. The new remove from game thing really doesn't affect the game much at all - this is a game where decking is a valid win mechanism after all, and the value of the discard pile is close to nil for most decktypes. Then there's the more tokens things, but guess what? I've been playing with tokens even before the new set.

Great cards in the new set, but for a Johnny like me, the same-ol' stuff and nothing revolutionary means the game is getting a bit stale. The Timmies are probably enjoying all the huge cards (I know because I've been trading away my Timmy cards), and the Spike players are the ones who invest the most money in the game anyways. And what do the Johnnies get? Nothing much since the game was never meant for the typical Johnny player. Boohoo.

I installed the AGoT client today. It sucks. I could not connect to the server with the server button, and I had no idea how to build a deck. I did try clicking all the buttons to no avail. I even read the FAQ too, but that didn't have a deckbuilding section. I suppose I should have spent more time looking for the how to build a deck, and how to connect, perhaps even register in the forums (yes, there are two), but I decided that it wasn't worth my while at the end of the day. The application screams "Hard Core Computer Nuts Only, casual users and players need not bother". I hope gEngine doesn't scream the same thing to new players.

Origins should have started today. I think Mark has his Endeavor game today. Most people will be arriving tonight or tomorrow for the gaming and stuff. It sounds exciting, I hope to get a good look at pictures and reports. I wonder if I can find any blogs about it. Apparently there aren't going to be any. Boohoohoo and a bottle of rum. Erm... excuse my pirate speak.

The newly wedded Mike Welling will be travelling to Columbus to work in the booth that's going to show off the Full Metal Alchemist TCG. That sounds interesting, whatever it is. With the shakedown in the industry though, it might not survive, but one can never tell. The other game I'm looking forward to see is Teen Titans CCG. Hopefully someone will get some cards and scan them (or the card back at the very least). Decipher isn't giving away free LotR cards (or free cards for any of their games!) but they do have promos for sale. I guess that only goes to show what dire straits they are in.

I just realised I have to make an ad for DJ for tomorrow when the competition starts. Back to the grind...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home