Novelty's Novelties

Novelty, from the Old French word Novelt, meaning new.

Sunday, July 10, 2005

-+@ Many Skills @+-

I don't have that many...



Art Credits:
Dream Anchor by Holmberg/Gillette/Shreve
Phlouk's Lantern by Werner/Gillette/Goodman
Commando's Knife by Holmberg

I templated three cards today, and one of them was Dream Anchor. This is supposed to be an alternate Reality Anchor, so it's a modified image with a new background. I don't really like the image, but it'll have to do, unless I want to draw a whole new image. Phlouk's Lantern is just a crop of the Phlouk image, which makes it easier for me to get the artwork. I like how it turned out in the end. However, Commando's Knife, the crop from Iain, Commando, didn't work out as well. It looks a bit weird in that image, but it'll also have to suffice for the time being.

So that's 85 cards done for TW and 15 more to go. Bograth got "closed out" today and for that I'm grateful. All that's left are 1 more for Universal and I think 7 each for Nar and d'Resh. I'm not going to rush it though, so it'll probably be November before I get those templated and done. That and the fact that it's going to be hard to get images for some of those cards.

Daniel posted a Weave playtest report today. It's nice to see people are still playtesting TG. He mentions particularly about the power escalation in Weave and I think that's to be expected since that was the plan from the beginning for Weave and Paradwyn and to a smaller degree Underneath. I wonder though if the new cards would generate any new deck types. Probably not since they were designed for the weaker existing deck types. That's something to find out anyways.

Meanwhile Double Jeopardy has been quiet, with only 3 entries to the competition to design the cards. Those aren't exactly what I'm looking for though, but some of them are innovative and I think that's a good sign. Still, I wish more people were interested in the set and stuff. This is going to be an uphill struggle as well, at least Keeper's Quest and Keeper's Question had lots of entries and interest.

I'm not the only person desiging custom cards for MND. The Insiider RP people are moving on to their 4th expansion, Soul Conflict. I'm looking forward to some interesting cards from that set and hopefully some good artwork from Beth there as well. Insiider RP seems to be going slow as well, but there's still a hard core of people there doing stuff and I guess that's a good sign.

And moving on, I have been playing a bit of LotR Online recently trying to escape the boredom of the game. It's still boring though, even with the new set and that's something that should raise warning bells for Decipher. It's not because the new expansion is badly designed, on the contrary, Bloodlines has lots of good cards for existing decks and strategies. However it doesn't offer much new though, although it hints of several strategies that may be coming, but those aren't too coherent as of yet IMO. Of course, I could be missing out something. This would probably drive away the not so dedicated players I guess. And all this before the actual release of the expansion.

I'm already looking forward to the next LotR expansion, but with that comes rotation - Tower block will be rotated out, which means a whole host of important cards would be gone from Standard format. I wonder if that would be a good thing or a bad thing. I'm inclined towards it being bad, because less cards = less strategies, which means that the game will get even more boring... unless the new expansion inject some new oomph into the game. I'm not sure Decipher is capable of that now though.

Haven't read much Origins stuff, although I did read Logan's post a few days back. It's interesting to see that Chaosium is still supporting Mythos in Origins eventhough they no longer publish the game. That's a good sign. Of course, they probably have other products to fall back on besides the CCG.

And gEngine is being quiet. VTES has slowed down since the first few weeks and even with more players being added to the beta test, LESS games are being played. Hopefully they'll get out of playtest soon and go public. Star Wars is still going crazy as Timmy and Christoph and Patrick has been pushing it around. Lots of people getting passes to play the game there, which is a good sign. The big surprise for me when I saw the stats today is that DoomTown is on a "boom" (or an upswing, not an explosion). I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that Pillar of Salt is now available online, or if the word about it was spread over Origins.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home