Novelty's Novelties

Novelty, from the Old French word Novelt, meaning new.

Monday, July 04, 2005

-+@ Sponsorship @+-

which is what is needed, I think...



Something different? That's correct. This is like a bonus blog since I had this insane (OK, I've been reading too much of Doug's writings, I'm now using insane as an adjective... at least I'm not spelling it as "insain") idea to make a list.

List of Games I wish could be on gEngine

This is the list of games I'd like to see on gEngine. Most of them won't make it to the engine for one reason or another, but the list can still be made just for fun. Who knows, maybe if I start lobbying people hard enough, I might actually get them... but most probably not.

1. Lord of the Rings TCG. This should be a no brainer for anyone who's been following my blog. Yes, I play this game. I don't particularly like it, but it's the only in-print CCG I'm playing these days. I wish I don't have to buy boosters and I would like to build a deck from "unlimited" cards - both these the strengths of gEngine. This game will probably never get on gEngine though, unless WA goes belly-up.

2. (a) Risk, the boardgame. My all time favourite boardgame has to make it into this list, but this is another doubtful candidate, being a Hasbro/Avalon Hill property. Still, it'd be interesting to conquer the world on gEngine.
(b) Lord of the Rings Risk. Well, if the world isn't enough, there's always Middle Earth. Expansion set and all.
(c) Risk 2210. And while I'm power crazy and conquering everything in sight, I might as well start conquering the oceans and the moon as well...

3. A Game of Thrones CCG. The middle card above is from this game. The artwork is nice, and it's also currently in print. I'd like to try out the game before I play it, the politics sounds intriguing, the mechanics are nice. I hope though that it isn't a Rare-dependent type of game, but I don't really know. That's the reason that I'd like it on gEngine. Will it happen? Highly doubtful.

4. Svea Rige. Another boardgame. This one is a Swedish historical boardgame that Tomi has been taunting me with, but since I doubt I'll ever be able to get my hands on it, gEngine would be my one and only chance of playing this game. Oh and it might be fun to try and stop Finland from gaining its independence...

5. Warlords TCG. AEG game. I chose Warlords over L5R because Warlords seems to be the more interesting of the two to me. That and the fact that on gEngine, one can get to build decks with all the promos every printed for Warlords, which is a big deal since AEG tends to print ONE copy of a promo for this game! What are the chances of this happening? Close to none. AEG has been dragging their heels over giving permission for their games.

6. Ophidian 2035. Yeah, I have cards from this. Yes, the rules are supposedly not that good. What sets this game apart though is that the mechanic is interesting. That plus the fact that the company that made it is actually supporting the fan-made expansions. 2i was going about how they would put the players first, well, the company that makes Ophidian actually does that. They released the spoiler for the unreleased expansion and now they are supporting fan-made sets and have given the thumbs up for fan-fiction. Could we get this unpublished game onto the gEngine? There is a possibility, but a very slim one.

7. Allegience: War of Factions. This isn't really a Collectible Card Game, but it is a Customisable Card Game instead. There are some balancing issues, but based on its historical accuracy and good gameplay and great support, it's winning over quite a large number of players. That plus the fact that the cards have no rarity means that everyone has access to all the cards. It does sound intriguing and this is another game I'd like to try before I buy.

8. HeroClix. I like superheroes. Can gEngine even support HeroClix? Barely I would think. Would we ever get it onto the gEngine? I highly doubt it. Again, access to all the clix would make it a good platform to really see how great the game is (or not). That plus the fact that one doesn't have to shell out big bucks to play the game.

9. Settlers of Catan. One of the most popular German board game. I think Microsoft has the license to do this game online, which means that it's going to be out of gEngine for sure. It's a quick and simple game and one that would suit gEngine rather well. It's a pity though that we won't be able to get it there.

10. I was going to put Triple Triad here, but there's still a chance for that on gEngine... just not this year. I'll close the list with another boardgame - Lost Valley of the Dinosaurs, a Waddingtons game that I had lots of fun playing in my childhood. There was a pterosaurs and a swamp monster and stuff on a 2D board with 3D make belief mountains. I don't have a copy of this game anymore though which is a pity.

So there's 10 games I'd like to see on gEngine, but will probably never come to pass... there's always dreams though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home