Novelty's Novelties

Novelty, from the Old French word Novelt, meaning new.

Wednesday, September 08, 2004

-+@ Main Street USA. Boarded Up @+-

Talked with Mike again today and teased him about various other stuff, but only because he said I was "involved in the industry", whatever that means. I won't consider myself being "involved" much, but Oh well. Oh and yeah, I know, I know, I have to work on Portable Adventures one of these days.

Played some LotR again today and went up against my first dunlending minions. Lots of rares, but either he had a sucky minion draw or his minions aren't so good because I had no problem running them down. Sure, they took out Legolas early on (Yay! Good Riddance!), but I had my support cards out by site 5 and I was recurring the So Fair So Good every turn after that so all those not-so-big guys were being overwhelmed easy. Nothing like using 3 wimpy strength 3 Hobbits to kill off a swarm or three. He even dropped Enquea after site 6, but with 4 vitality on my unwounded hobbits (they have to be unwounded to take advantage of Everyone Knows) he couldn't even capitalise on the threats that I had, which was 3 at that point. Is it me or are LotR decks getting very predictable?

I wonder though where are all the "Johnny" players in LotR... I was told that two of the key cards in my deck are being X'ed or banned. By themselves they do nothing. Combined though together with the cards I have and they form part of the Hobbit chain reaction as I have named it - playing a card triggers off a number of cards which in turn trigger off more cards, which makes it rather deadly, but not broken, in the end. I even incorporated the Hobbit Hospital into that chain reaction, which is reward in and of itself for me. Yes, I'm a "Johnny" player, my take on CCGs is like my take on Lego - to make the interaction of the parts greater than the sum of the whole.

Talked with Martin about Johnny vs Spike and LotR vs CoC. It was an interesting conversation. I think we are all maturing now, as we move into the realm of card design - I'm currently involved with the MND customs and (not so much) the Babylon 5 customs and he's got a few Doomtown customs on his plate, so hopefully the insights that we bring into card design will help each other in the long run.

Run? Pass? Foul? Iron!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home