Novelty's Novelties

Novelty, from the Old French word Novelt, meaning new.

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

-+@ Eebit @+-

Weebit? You decide.



Art credits: Gray, Holmberg, Gray. These are potentially the cards for TW again... and I think these are the last set of the cards that have been previewed elsewhere. Next up are either never seen before card images on this blog... or something else. I'm going to guess something else.

Some thing funny happened to the MND images during the server move. Somehow, somewhere they got resized or something. The result was that although people spent hours downloading them, there was no way for them to view those images. I finally managed to convince Bug to move everything over again from the old server and that solved the problem. Three cheers for Bug.

MND tournament is going nowhere, or so it seems. People seems to be away on spring break. However, since MND is now featured, people have been playing silly format games. It's fun to watch though. Quite a few new players are coming on, some of them being introduced to the engine by word of mouth of the existing players, so that's a good sign I guess. I just checked the 30 day stats and MND has topped at 20% of all games played. The last time I saw that was just before the death of the game 2 summers ago. I doubt it'll last long, but I've been telling all the MND players to take advantage of the game while it costs no tokens. They are happily doing so. Mitch even posted in the MND at gEngine blog about this. I think he's enjoying himself.

Ed is now hanging out in the MND forum these days - I wonder why. Probably because all 3 of the people in his ToJH tournament plays MND. All 3 of them were in the MND room today as well, all at the same time. The results have finally been posted and people have been given their silvers. I think there'll be some rejoicing and stuff. After all, getting even 5 silvers for 3 coppers is a good deal, at least in my book. NKX got 15 at the expense of 2 coppers.

Talking about NKX, I asked him about the feasibility of getting Myths and Legends or Mythos y Legendas onto the engine. He said he'll get cards and see if he can scan stuff and do the translations for me. So that's a good sign. He has been good to the MND community at large and I think he'll be a great asset to the gEngine community as well if we can harness his energy properly. But we'll have to see. Some people lose interest after a while.

Yesterday, I did the mockup of Silk Road, the MND knock-off that we are trying to design. The question is how to make the game similar enough to MND without making it identical. Well, as we found out today, it's very difficult. Chris and I played a game on the engine with MND cards as proxies, and I got tired of it after the first magi-equivilent. There are simply too many things to track and that seems to bog down the entire game. Couple that to the lack of resources as the game progressed and it was bad. I said as much at the end of the game and we decided it needed more work. The fun thing is getting to see MND cards being used for another game.

Tony and I chatted briefly today about WoT. He's still progressing there slowly, but surely, and he hopes to build up a WoT community that will build custom cards and stuff. Well, it's hard work, but he seems determined to do it, so I wish him well. We also discussed his interests in other games.

Talking about other games, Julien has taken up Arcadia, which seems to be a good thing, since he's itching to work on a game and Shadowfist is like close to perfect. I checked with Martin who had no objections so I went over Ed's head and gave him the keys to the kingdom (aka the Arcadia forum). I hope, and I'm almost sure Ed will have no problems with that.

Talking about Martin, he said he's working on BattleGRID for the moment which sounds like a good thing. I really have no strong preference for that game so I can't say much, but knowing Martin, he's probably go all gung-ho (pun intended) and put in quite a few surprises. Sadly, no news yet if DoomTown is going to get an Upkeep counter any time soon.

Kev has been finalising the fonts for Martin to use in VTES. I saw the preview and I must say it looks nice so far. Kev seems to be in great demand now that he's like the font guru and has been asked to make fonts for various other games. He seems to be enjoying it.

Timmie has been asking all sorts of weird and funny questions on the forums. I think it's part of his diabolical plan to convert Star Wars into the best Star Wars platform online. Well, I wish him best as well. He's facing some hard competition in that area. Also, someone should point out that the venerable Apprentice is still around, sad as it is. I've tried my hardest to convince the MND apprentice players onto the engine and have had moderate success in doing so. Hopefully Timmie together with Christoph's help might be able to do the same.

Tomi did another Doomtrooper update yesterday. No surprise there since that's his favourite game. I don't think he's working on DoA at the moment... he's mainly doing stuff to update his existing games. That's really sensible, and I can't disagree with that since I know I'm doing the same thing. I wonder if Dark Eden will be next. There are some things I look forward to there.

Logan has finally started clipping Shadowrun cards. I thought he did them late last year, but apparently I was mistaken. He's got a lot of work ahead of him. I hope he's not gonna get any repetitive stress injury (TCS?) with the clipping. I told him to head to bed after he had a moan in my direction earlier today. I think he needs the sleep more.

I played a few games of LotR today. They were forgettable. I'm already getting tired of my decks and there's still like 3 more months before I'll get to see the new cards. Oh well. I did see someone playing a Promise deck which looks interesting, but against Uruks it's not going to be too happy. Oh well, that's some good deck ideas anyways. Maybe I should start playing expanded at some point...

I don't think I'll be able to do the B5 update this month. I've got a few other admin stuff to do tonight - plates post update, game stats, forums admin and Alphabet Game admin which will probably take up most of my spare time. And the Alphabet Game seemed to have burst back to life. That's a good thing, but since I have to prepare the updates on a regular basis, it's a bit of work for me every 2 days or so. That's not a complaint though.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home