Novelty's Novelties

Novelty, from the Old French word Novelt, meaning new.

Friday, March 25, 2005

-+@ Storn Storm @+-

What can I say? When it rains, it pours...



Three more cards previewed on the Custom Card Forum. Artists are from left - Goodman, Werner and Holsten. These are some of the probably cards for Twilight War. Well, I'm thinking about it anyways. Was also thinking of names for a few future sets. I like "Ancient of Days" which sounds a bit grand, but things like "Time after Time" or "Time between Times" fals flat somehow. Also, was mulling the possibility of making some of the RP cards into a custom set... the working name for that is currently "Exodus Flight".

Tournament wise, Mitch was the first person to qualify by playing his 8 games. His 8th game was a win against Pirategirl... I didn't realised he blogged it yesterday at http://ccgwmnd.blogspot.com blog. It's a good read and one of the first blogs to get 2 comments there. Quite a few people are reading that blog too, and I'm a bit surprised to see that.

Otherwise, it has been a quiet day on the engine mostly... there was a period where there were only 2 people on the engine. Good Friday must be taking its toll or something I guess. I've been busily updating the games for the new engine. Go Fish desperately needed that update, and while I was there, I couldn't resist updating the "optional extra". WSS1 also needed an update - I pondered going text only as DoomTown did, then I pondered going for a better scan, but when I saw how perfect the new system is, I retained everything and just let it go as it is. Also added the first three cards of the second "custom" "expansion" - WSS2. This set departed from the WSS1 format (since WS was an established game by then), but it had many of the basics of WSS1 on the cards and I thought it'd be nice to give the characters appropriate stats and add them to WSS1. So that's being done. WildCATs were the 3 cards today. Stormwatch is next. I considered doing some HumAliens today, but decided that they can be left for a rainy day.

'Twas a busy day for the forums and the engine in general in terms of admin work. Obviously, the end of the month is coming up so there's a lot to prepare for. Also, it's beginning to sink into everyone's head that I'm the forum guy, so I'm getting requests to do stuff - minor stuff that I don't really mind doing. Like putting up vacancy signs for some of the games. That has been a good thing, as not one, not two but three of them have been taken up. The ghosts seems pleased with that as well.

What has been done? Tomi decided to start work on Heresy today, after Kev said he'll do the spoiler, so between them, I think we'll get Heresy out sometime this year. I doubt anyone will play it, but I hope to be surprised. Whether it'll be a "no-frills" adaptation (Martin isn't using "no fries" anymore, so I don't get to tease him about that anymore), I have no idea.

Martin himself has been a busy bee, and he's finally added upkeep tracking to Doomtown. Sometimes nagging works. Othertimes, we just all have to gang up on Martin and make him realise that there are things we want in a game. He's also got MECCG and VTES all kitted out with bells and whistles it seems... one of these days I really have to give MECCG a twirl.

Alex's tour today went rather well in my books. 3 people showed up, not the half dozen that used to show up, but it's a start. Hopefully he can build on that. I did tell him all about the new tools at his disposals - calendars and tour notifications and news notifications. Hopefully he'll make better use of them in future since he thinks he'll need them.

Julien's Shadowfist update has been grabbing the headlines... well, only because I put it up as news in the FPN and WGO. Jean-Claude has also been busy getting his games ready, particularly the Rage update before the March moot. Well, moot coincides with Good Friday this year... I guess the werewolves, moon worshippers, nature worshippers and Christians will all celebrate that day.

Tony and Timmie were both having troubles uploading stuff to the server. Timmie got Christoph to do the deed. Sometimes it's nice having a slave, er... junior Project Lead, to do stuff you him. And as for Tony, all I could do is direct him to Ed and hope for the best.

Ed has been, besides busy giving out his ToJH tours, busy also in fixing the bugs that are cropping up on the engine. Sure, these are small and little things here and there, but they do stack up and I'm sure they take a lot of time to find out and fix. Quite a few people has been impressed with the new engine so far. Praise doesn't go to me, but to Ed.

The big news though is that we have a new PL. RevCAJohnson will be starting work on Galactic Empires with help from Kev. Gray told me on the chatroom that it's almost like going back to school with all the amount of stuff he'll have to learn to get the game up and out of the way. I think he has an original game that he wants to adapt for the engine as well.

Well, at least Aaron has one leg up in that aspect - Martin did most of the Sim City scans and completed them yesterday. Now it's just up to Aaron to clip them and to incorporate them into the game. No easy job there I guess. I don't envy him though, I've got to do the same thing to Terminator and Hyborean Gates soon.

And since we've gone full circle back to my games, I've got to really get moving if I'm to complete what I said I'll do this month. B5 and WS hasn't even been updated yet and those really do need an update. I think I'll push B5 back a month to next month. WS though should be getting an update before the month is up, hopefully.

Talking about B5, I played a game today with a relative newbie. Not that I'm an expert or anything. It was fun. Faced an experienced player with a vorlon deck and it was difficult not being able to use my voting cards because Kosh was out. Nevertheless, since no one was playing with a Crusade pile, I was able to bully my way with that and win with the conflicts that only Crusade characters can participate in. I had so much fun playing, I didn't even realised I could win until it was pointed out to me that I could win. Heh. I really have to build more B5 decks that suits my playing style.

Also played a couple of LotR games today. Solo smeagol seems to still be very much played. I've been using Besieger swarms to deal with that though, althuogh evil men & archery would do equally well there. Dwarves and Gandalf seems to be everyone's choice of fellowship these days, I haven't seen Noble Leaders for a while. Fighting Elves and Rohan still see some play. And starter deck Hobbits are everywhere. Some days, I feel so bad when I beat those starter deck hobbit players with my decks.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home